As a follow up to the recent Joe Betit blog post on nearshore surveys here is information on work being done here in the U.S. to integrate onshore and offshore datums.
VDatum is a free software tool being developed jointly by NOAA’s National Geodetic Survey (NGS), Office of Coast Survey (OCS), and Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS). VDatum is designed to vertically transform geospatial data among a variety of tidal, orthometric and ellipsoidal vertical datums – allowing users to convert their data from different horizontal/vertical references into a common system and enabling the fusion of diverse geospatial data in desired reference levels.
VDatum software is written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, Unix, VMP, and Windows.
Where available and uncertainties are established, VDatum supports the conversions among the following:
- Coordinate Systems: Geographic, UTM, State Plane Coordinates (SPC), and geocentric (ECEF)
- Horizontal Datums: NAD27, NAD83(1986), and NAD83(HARN); and ellipsoidal datums such as of ITRF, WGS84, and NAD83 serializations
- Vertical Datums:
- Ellipsoidal Datums: NAD83, WGS84, ITRF88, ITRF89, ITRF90, NEOS 90, PNEOS 90, ITRF91, ITRF92, SIO/MIT 92, ITRF93, ITRF94, ITRF96, ITRF97, IGS97, ITRF2000, IGS00, IGb00, ITRF2005, IGS05, ITRF2008, IGS08, WGS84(transit), WGS84(G730), WGS84(G873), WGS84(G1150), WGS84(G1674), NAD83(PACP00), NAD83(MARP00)
- Orthometric Datums: NAVD88, NGVD29, PRVD02, VIVD09, ASVD02, GUVD04, NMVD03, HAWAII EGM2008, EGM1996, and EGM1984
- Tidal Datums: MLLW, MLW, LMSL, DTL, MTL, MHW, LWD, and MHHW
- GEOID models: GEOID12B, GEOID12A, GEOID09, GEOID06 (Alaska only), GEOID03, GEOID99, and GEOID96
- EGM models: EGM2008, EGM1996, and EGM1984
- xGEOID models: xGEOID16b (BETA), and xGEOID17b (BETA)
- Supported file format: text(ASCII), LiDAR(.LAS, *.LAZ) version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.4 with Classification, ESRI ASCII Raster(.ASC), ESRI 3D shapefile, and GeoTIFF (on Windows OS)
Click here to download the software and for more information.