As noted a few months ago the final 20% of the problems facing the driverless car industry are far from solved. Here are just a few of them identified in this article:
- The ability to recognize verbal or hand signals.
- Unclear lane markings
- What to do when a traffic signal is not working.
- Turning into intersections with fast moving traffic.
- Recognizing small objects in the roadway that need to be avoided.
- Operating in all weather conditions
Many of these are the anomalies, the exceptions to the norm that it would seem to require a human to make the right decision. There is still a lot of challenging work to be done.